So the big question still remains:

Is THX certification the equivalent of a "Krusty the Clown certified product", or does the THXcert really make for a better product?

Standards can certainly be helpful for an industry to keep from having multiple formats for common electronics (vhs vs. beta, dvda vs sacd, etc.) and they can raise the bar for acceptable quality but only IF they really are stringent tests.

Personally, when i went researching and shopping for a receiver early last year, THX cert meant absolutely squat to me. I read through many many a/v receiver reviews, auditioned a couple, took some advice from local friends and experts, read over specs, looked at prices and then made a choice (Onkyo DS797).
Today however, i know that my receiver does have a THX cert (select i believe) and i STILL don't know what that says about my receiver.
Perhaps its just me, but after owning a receiver for 8 months, i haven't even bothered to take the time to see what/how my Onkyo is certified for under THX. However i have had the time to post over 400 messages on these forums.
Its all crazyness.

Dantana, sorry to hear about the house thing. That's a rea b_tch.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."