Semi_On, Forgive my ignorance. I am neither an audio expert nor an audio engineer. I probably represent a vast majority of consumers who are caught up in some of the hype, that accompanies "THX" certifications. If "A" receiver had 10,000 watts per channel and .00001 distortion but no THX, but "B" had 100 watts and .05 distortion with THX, I would be hard pressed not to think I wasn't getting all my money's worth without THX certification. And that is why I say it is hurting the industry. Although I have not read the EXACT specifications that a receiver must undergo to pass THX certification. I feel that a company that wants to stay ahead is almost obligated due to consumer pressures, and the fact that they get charged for this only makes it worse. I bet you would see many, many more companies with THX certification if they didn't have to pay the royalty to put that 1" logo on their receiver, and this is passed on to the consumer. And any company who choses not to, ie Yamaha, is left behind in consumer eyes as maybe not worthy to pass these qualifications. Pioneer advertises their receivers as being the first THX Ultra 2 certified receiver. Onkyo, Kenwood, Harmon Kardon, JVC, and Denon among others all advertise this feature. Now I understand Ultra 2 is much more rigorous to pass, but consumers see this as the "Holy Grail" of audio. Like it or not THX is here to stay until someone comes up with a newer, latest and greatest standard.