I want to revive the HTPC discussion, but I don't want anybody to start fighting about scaling and stuff, okay?

I found some pretty cool looking systems at what seem to be fair prices at 2 Parts Fusion.

Here's what I want to do:

1. Control my Sony CD Megachangers through a SAVR (like Slink-e) from Black Box Designs and some associated software (like TitleTrack). I do not wish to spend my life ripping CD’s. Not now, anyway. Would a MCE remote (or preferably MX-700) be able to control a regular PC application like this, or would a user need to use a mouse? (obviously, I have zero experience with MCE and apologize for what is undoubtedly a stupid question).

2. DVD playback - Since one of the things I am interested in is replacing my existing and aging DVD player with a HTPC, how "easy" might it be to start playing a DVD? That is, using existing components and MX-700 macros, it is basically a one-button operation. Could the same thing be accomplished with a HTPC? I know, a decent, regular DVD player is going to give me similar quality, but I have limited equipment space, and leveraging that impending expenditure on more diversely capable hardware seems satisfying.

3. Web browsing

4. Photo display - show jpgs of family photos and stuff

5. PC games (basic, family-oriented things, not extreme gaming)

My wife likes and uses our URC MX-700 remote for our HT, including DirecTivo. At this time, I am not interested in HTPC PVR functionality. I want to use the MX-700 for everything - can you make it act like a mouse for HTPC apps?

You may recall that I have an older, SD Mitsubishi 55 CRT RPTV. At the moment.

We have the main computer in another room (it ain't moving) and do have broadband access with Cat5e already run from the router at the other computer to the living room (where the HT is).

Now, I know there are other ways to accomplish these things more cheaply. I could buy a new DVD player, get an XBox or PS2/3, and either just suck it up on the Megachanger control or start ripping. I considered getting a Prismiq media player for the browsing and file sharing. Those all seem like compromises and inelegant solutions.

I’d appreciate any thoughts you might have about the viability of my situation, especially related to ease-of-use questions.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem