oohh, a possible switcher...

Keyboard is great. I'm about 10' feet away from the transmitter, which is inside a Salamander twin. I also have an old VersapointRF keyboard w/ thumbpad that I've used. That works good too, but you have to be 2 handed to use the pad, whereas the BTC you can do w/ one hand. I'm willing to sell the Versapoint if anyone's interested.

The Mini comes standard w/ DVI. On my Panny 6UY EDTV plasma, picture is quite good. The DVI is for the HDTivo so I use VGA, which is suprisingly good. Watching Apple's h.264 quicktime library is pretty impressive, even via VGA.

$100 for a converter? Holy smokes, it's only $19.
Svid adapter

Mac's version of an HTPC. Check these:
Mac HTPC
HT Mini
CenterStage

How to get digital audio:
M Audio

I only listen in stereo mode via USB, since my Pioneer 45TX has a USB input. The Mac Audio CODEC is actually VERY good, better than my Win2K IBM laptop which was very "tinny".

Prices have dropped, check macmall.com. I think the full blown 1.4GHz, superdrive, bluetooh, airport, 1 GB, is under $800.

Yes, Macs can read PC disks. You can also run Virtual PC to run a Windows session, although it maybe somewhat slow on a Mini. Works fine on a G4 Powerbook though. The nice thing I've found is that the new Tiger runs older OS9 (classic mode) software pretty easily. I've picked up some older Living Books CDs for my kid for cheap on ebay, like Dr. Seuss and Little Critter. Even those these are almost 10 years old, they play easily w/ the Mac. Try that w/ XP. (I did and it won't work...w/o some in depth video driver changes.)

An Apple DVR would be cool though...

DVR

iFlicks

Last edited by oldskoolboarder; 07/21/05 10:24 PM.