It was my first AV receiver so didn't have much to compare it with. Since first hooking it up (actually a few months ago, just no time to play with it) I have downloaded manuals for a few other receiver models while trying to answer questions here and did find that most of the other manuals seemed easier to read and understand than the HK.

My big frustration with all of the manuals is that they try to "write the manuals for dummies" (ie no useful high level information, plodding step by step instructions spread over several pages) but the result doesn't seem to be useful to anyone. Too many words for a novice to wade through, and no high level information for a more experienced person to quickly understand.

Sorry, am I venting again ?

The one thing I still haven't figured out (and I think the receiver may just not do it) is how to route LF signals from center and surrounds to the mains when running without a sub. I'm getting my sub back this weekend so I guess I don't care any more, but the manual seems to state clearly "speakers set to small, no sub, no bass".

The big revelation for me was the fact that it remembers different settings for different combinations of input sources and input content, depending on whether you set bass management to Global or Independent. Until I clued in I was convinced that SOMEONE was changing all my settings every time I went out of the room

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8