Is that Pretenders DVD the one titled "Loose in LA?" It's recorded at a place called Wilthern Theatre. I had a similar reaction to it. It's a good DVD; it's in DTS, but it didn't excite me as I expected it would, not sure why. Maybe a lack of chemistry among the band (I do miss their original guitarist) or between me and the band. Not a great DVD but still a good one.

Thanks for the tip on Joni Mitchell, I've been eyeing that one.

Most of my DVDs are music DVDs. My favorite is Roy Orbison's "Black and White Night." The sound is exceptional. It's in DTS. Roy Orbison displays his remarkable voice and is backed by an all star band. This also is a great showcase for James Burton, who really shines on guitar and shows why he's in the rock and roll hall of fame.

I also enjoy Paul Simon's "Your the One." I do find the blue lighting irritating, but the sound is very good.

I'd recommend "Live from the Bonnaroo Music Festival 2002." Most of the music is very good. The sound is excellent. I could have done without all the stuff in between the music (such as statements from festival goers and citizens of the town).

I have a few music DVDs that feature more legendary musicians: Stephane Grappelli - "In New Orleans," Chapion Jack Dupree -- in the Blues Legends series, "Legends of Flatpicking Guitar" with Doc Watson, Tony Rice and Norman Blake (this one is not in 5.1), and Rockin' Dopsie and the Zydeco Twisters -- also, from the Blues Legends Series). I'd recommend all of those.

I would like to find some very good classical music DVDs. I have Beethoven's Symphonies 4 & 7 by the Berlin Philharmonic under the direction of Claudio Abbado. I guess I was hoping this would come closer to duplicating the excitement of live symphony music -- maybe an unreasonable expectation.

Last edited by chopa2less; 04/12/05 02:53 AM.