well, maybe i should set some 'parameters' on my haggling.

if you are buying anything from an individual(garage sale, paper ad, 'for sale' sign in yard), then EVERYTHING is haggleable.

i think labor/services are haggleable. shop charges you $60 an hour labor, and they round up.. i dont think asking for a cut, or maybe a free car wash is out of the question.

large retail stores are open game, but only on larger items.. its OK to ask for $50 bucks off of a $500 washer. but its not OK ask for $2 off a $20 towel rack.

i think the BEST haggling is with self-owned, small business owners. they want you to come back, and they want you to tell your friends. so they are much more willing to make deals. GREAT example.. the small mom&pops electrical store where i got my banana plugs from.. i bought 10 plugs, at $2.19 each. about $24 total with tax. but i still needed the tiny flat-head screwdriver to get to the screws. he had one for $3.49 on the counter, and all i had was $25 cash.. he threw the screw driver in the bag, i gave him the $25, and i walked out the door. so, basically, i saved about $3.00 bucks.. made me happy, he lost $3 bucks,, but, not really, cause he had already marked up the prices. plus, now that i am doing an HT for my buddy, we will go back and get another $25 worth of equip. thats how it works..

snake- if you wouldnt 'deal' with me, then i wouldnt come to your store.. simple as that. i will take my business to someone that will. there is no hatred or resentement involved, i am just looking out for me.

bigjohn

EXCUSE ME, ARE YOU THE SINGING BUSH??