When I had my comic book business back in New England I always haggled. Often if I got a guy asking if I could take for example $18 for a book I marked $20. It wouldn't be out of the ordinary for me to reply..."No, but I'll gladly take $15.".

My business lived or died on repeat customers though...and I had a major competitor very, very near me. I had to go above and beyond to grab his customers. Over the course of approx. 3 years my business grew at least 400%. People kept coming back. It's all about customer service. With the advent of e-business customer service has really gone out the window. I'm pretty sure it'll make a comeback. The honeymoon of cheap prices over the internet will soon be over. The prices will still be cheap, but when you've got a dozen different choices on the web, rather than one or two, it'll be the guy with the terrific customer service that wins out. (Axiom seems to understand this very well.)

Just an example in my case: A friend of my little brother's mother heard I bought and sold comic books. She had a box full from when she was little and wanted me to take a look at them. I went over and she had a nice collection of 1950's superhero and western comics. Certainly valued much more than I could ever hope to pay her...and I told her so. What I did do was offer to sell them for her. I'd take a commission, she'd get the rest. It would take a bit longer, but she'd end up with much more money. She agreed and I took the books. She told me another man had stopped by to see them and offered her $100 for the entire box. I knew exactly who it was that offered her that (yep...same guy as above).

Within two months I sold nearly the entire collection. She ended up with over $1500, I had a nice commission, and I also gained numerous new customers because I had some vintage books for sale. (My usual stock was 1980's books).

When I decided to move to Califorinia that competitor of mine was more than glad to buy me out.

As much as I enjoy my job now, and I certainly make more money, there's never been a better job than having my own biz. I wouldn't mind giving it another shot someday.

ps - Congrats on the new tv Peter!