>>Are there NO standards to which we must adhere?

Regrettably, no, unless those standards are codified as laws and someone is willing to make the effort to enforce those laws, by force if necessary, and to endure the risks and abuse which goes along with the job.

The problem is agreeing on what the right standards are, and leaving a door open for people who do not agree with the standards and can not live with the laws. This is not a problem for an Internet forum (if you don't like the rules and conventions, pi** off !!) but is a problem for states and countries as we all slide inexorably towards the PC abyss.

We are increasingly living in times where standards are felt to be discriminatory to anyone who chooses not to follow them, rather than being the foundations and plumbing of civilization like they used to be.

Mark my words -- within 10 years we are going to realize what a mess we have made and flip over to a very conservative mindset, at least up here in Canada. I just hope we do it under a Churchill and not a Hitler.

I don't think we're going to do it under a Harper (our current Conservative party head) -- we're still too naive and ignorant up here to vote for a quiet, smart leader.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8