A very articulate and well thought out post, Oz. I believe heartily in my signature. Disagreement and argument are fine. Quarreling is not. I bear no ill will toward you OR Mike.

Your name came into play in my second post ONLY because you said "Peter... now really! Boob on a public forum? I'm outta here" which I interpreted as implying that I was offended by the words, which, I hope I've made clear, is not the case.

Somehow I'm not getting my point across.

In reply to:

The things you seem to take issue with come down to matters of freedom of expression. It doesn’t matter if it is the words, or as you say, the use of the words in a public place.

My objection was not to the words, or even the "use of the words in a public place." What I object to, and I know this will seem like splitting hairs (but, think about it), is the lack of consideration for others demonstrated by using the words in a place where Amie and Sonicfox, and who knows how many other women and/or children might come across them. Now, for all we know (please excuse me Amie), Amie uses more graphic bodily function terminology every two minutes, and wouldn't be offended in the least. But the point is, we don't know HOW she might feel, do we?

Oz, would you go back to my first post and quote any parts where I said, or implied, that I wished to restrict anyone's freedom of expression, or where, as you implied later, I attempted to "enforce my standards on others"? To reiterate, I was NOT offended by the words. I was offended by the lack of tact and consideration for others, which always offends me. My post was a plea for those values, and NOT a call for rules and regulations to restrict freedom of speech. I am not now, nor have I ever been, in favor of the restriction of free speech.

I refer you to quote from one of my favorite movie speeches which happens to be from the movie The American President.

""You want free speech? Let's see you acknowledge a man whose words make your blood boil who is standing center stage and advocating at the top of his lungs that which you would spend a lifetime opposing at the top of yours."

Let me use "political correctness" as an example. I find political correctness, in general, loathsome. I view political correctness as a demand, with failure to comply resulting in punishment. I view tact and consideration of others as a gift graciously bestowed by an individual. To demand it, or effect it's application through rules and regulations sorta defeats the idea of the whole thing. I can't even think how would would word a rule demanding tact.

Oz, I'm nearly 60. I know the world isn't black and white. There are, however, some things which fall into that category. I'm having a little trouble finding the gray area when it comes to tact and consideration for others.

Returning to Mike's "Why is it that when someone posts anything other than Axiom praise, the cowboys come a running with guns blazing"? and your "I agree that some are too quick to pound the gavel to the lectern," I would submit again that "It's not the opinion that is resented, it is HOW the opinion is presented that brings objections." In no way do I "demand" tact and consideration for others. I do, however, recommend their usage. And, should one opt to forgo them, an event that happens now and then on this forum, I am mystified when that person is outraged by unfriendly and angry responses, and issues accusations of overreaction to those who object to that lack of tact and consideration.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton