My first post here. This thread is becoming a testament to Joe, and I'd like to add to that process...

I've known Joe and the Axiom folks for years now, ever since they first asked me for some help with their Web site (it's my business). Their dedication and near-crazed passion for delivering amazing sound struck me on our first meeting. And they've not needed me after the first month or two as they are the fastest learners I've ever seen.

Since then, I've become a huge fan of Axiom. We have their speakers all over the house. Most recently, I upgraded our home theatre system to 7.2, adding their "beast" subwoofer and two more QS8s.

(The professional installers were totally blown away by the sound. Now, these guys have installed every super-high-end system you can imagine in some of the best homes in Montreal, but they asked me how THEY could buy Axiom for their homes!)

Every step of the way, Joe's been there to advise with passion about what works best for whatever it was that I wanted to do. And I do mean "passion." The man eats, lives and sleeps audio.

A few months back, Ian and Amie called (I'm also a physician). Joe had been diagnosed as having inoperable cancer. No panic, let's get a second opinion. You can almost always do SOMETHING and that first diagnosis can be wrong.

Full investigations revealed the worst. Palliation only.

I've talked to Joe many more times about his current disease than I ever did about speakers. That first call, and every one since, have formed the most amazing experience I have ever had as a doctor. (I'm not his family physician, just a second opinion and someone he can call anytime, although he never has.)

Dying patients normally go through a process, from denial to anger to depression and finally, acceptance. Joe STARTED at acceptance.

Calm and realistic, there was no question about doing anything heroic that would reduce the quality of the good days he had left. No rage. No depression. Joe is EXACTLY the same person we all know and love. If you talked to him, you'd have no hint that he is dying. He is LIVING the weeks that remain to him on this earth.

This is way beyond courage. I don't even have a word to define Joe's response, except to call it "Joe."

He continues to go into work because it's not "work" -- it's what he loves to do. THAT is part of how he figures he can get the best of the days remaining to him. Family is another big part, of course. And through it all, he does indeed have one brother...

Ian Colquhoun. Their love for each other goes beyond friendship. We will all miss Joe, but Ian and Amie are losing a family member, in the most profound sense of that word.

Joe, you are an inspiration. Thank you for the lessons I have learned by knowing you. You are the kind of person who makes me hope that there is an afterlife.

I know you'll live THAT journey with the same smile and passion as you have this one.

Your friend,
Ken Evoy