Guys,

There are a few things that I should point out. Over the last 9 months, I've listened to my fair share of live music in smaller more intimate settings. In these venues, there are no microphones or pick-ups for the drums. I don't hear any "thump" of the kind that we all like. It simply isn't there. So the 600 is giving a very faithful reproduction of reality.

Now having said that, I like some of you out there, like the thump non-linearity. So again, I don't think that linear bass is necessarily appealing...especially to those of us that have had the pleasure of thumping. Note that I didn't say booming. They are two different things \:\) . I think Axiom would do well to put a "linear/thump" switch on its DSP subs to satisfy everyone out there. I really believe this is one of the last missing ingredients on subs like the 500 & 600.

The other quality that I've raised from time to time is "snapping". This is the sound of the drumstick striking the skin. This is a higher frequency sound with components above 100Hz. When I compare the live venues to what I hear out of my Axioms, there is definitely something missing. Interestingly enough, with my Bose 601s the "snap" is well-defined. This is not to say that I'll take the Boses over the Axioms...not even close. But I am convinced there is a "hole" somewhere between 100Hz and 200Hz in my Axiom system. And it's not my room like some have suggested because when my Boses are playing, the snap is there. Just like the thump is there when the Sony is playing.

The snap is the second missing ingredient. Now as to whether that snap needs to be filled by the sub or the mains is a matter of system engineering judgment. I don't know the answer to that one.