Good points, John.

I found that the sound didn't change when I placed the 600 at my side-wall vs. the front wall. It looked more balanced on the side wall so I just left it there.

As for the distortion, I am almost of the opinion that my Sony is less distorted at lower SPLs than the 600. But again that is only an opinion based on hearing rather than any real data. I say that because the Sony sounds "dryer" than the 600. The 600 adds textures in between the actual notes (which I actually don't mind).

As for the room, I am almost at the point now where I'm going to bring the 600 into my 1,000 cubic foot office which is well-damped. If it sounds different in here, then I'll start attacking the room.

It's interesting that you mention lying the 600 down. That's one of the first things I did after receiving it and listening to it for a week or so. Lying it down did significantly improve the sound. However, I couldn't leave it that way in my room. So I stood it up and laid my beaver on it \:\) . The beaver does make a difference and I can actually hear a difference too when I use my hands to hold the sides tightly.

House of the Rising Sone
Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated