Zimm,
I am fully understanding that elusive chase for dB's. My wife keeps asking if I have 'decided' yet. I say yes... BUT. This process is like aproaching zero... there is always another infinitesimal split/step towards the goal. Zero feels closer, but it is more journey than 'arriving'. ;\)

My latest hair splitting hurdle is questioning my 7.1 back speaker choice. The last choice after speaking to Brent at Axiom, was that QS8's were not the best choice being that their back wall location is 16' behind list. pos. (all other speakers are 12'). Their radiated sound would drop off more with the longer path to list. pos. He thought M2's were best even over M22's. Watching Wall-E BD today, I noticed I was not hearing the backs and I have Bic America V52's which are very close (on paper) to the M2's, except the V52's have a 1/2" twtr vs. 1" and V52's have 90dB vs. M2's 91dB. I raised both by 6dB on the amp to max +12db. They seemed like they might be close to enveloping the list. pos., but not quite there. Now I am wondering again if a dual 5 1/4" drivers with 93dB (vs. 91dB of M2) would gain me more SPL umph from the back speakers.

Actually (2) VP100's would be a better physical and aesthetic fit for my room. If M22's were used, they would need to lay on their sides. Someone on another forum talked about centers in general being a poor choice for rears due to the different crossover frequencies. The M22 and Vp100's seem very close in size with the exact components, but with 3,500Hz vs. 2,700Hz crossover. Any chance Axiom would build a VP100 with a crossover from an M22 ? If so, would that make the VP100's have a noticeably higher SPL reaching the list. pos. ?

Last edited by davekro; 02/17/09 05:35 AM.

Dave

"In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice they're not."