Originally Posted By: davekro
 Originally Posted By: dewd
Dave, Here is a neat calculator to show SPL from various watts/distances. Just plug in the specs from your amp, the speakers, and your room. According to some quick entries, you will be able to get over 100DB (way above reference) using the M60's with your AVR.

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

PS - Be sure to add to the watts entry and recalculate to see the effect....

Dewd,
Thanks for the calculator. I ran across it a few days ago and forgot to back and 'use it'. ;o)
That said, I do not understand what these terms translate too:
1) dB gain from amplifier?
(going from 90wpc to 130wpc only raises this from 19.5 to 21.1dB)

2) dB Loss due to dispersion (distance)?
(Using 12' dist. this remains constant at -11.3dB)

3) dB Gain from sonic reinforcement (multi speakers)?
(constant at 8.5dB)

I get your point on the Sound Pressure Level changing from 109.7db @ 90wpc to 111.3dB @ 130dB. I assume this means my 90 wpc amp has headroom above what I might listen to a loud action movie at.

In their calculator, all the above is based on avg 8ohm imped. The other power hang up ;o) I have had was that my 1909 could not handle the 4ohm M80's. The 1909's specs read:
6 - 16 ohms
90 wpc (8ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, with .08%THD)
120 wpc (6ohms, 1kHz with .7%THD)
I'm not sure but I think these specs say THD increases almost 9 fold when dropping to just 6ohms. I assume distortion increase would even much worse if the 1909 saw a 4ohm load, not to mention a 4 ohm load being detrimental to the 1909. Do I have this correct.
tks

I'm at work right now and do not have links to everything, but a quick search will yield 1000's of results.

Real quick basic knowledge.... It takes double the amount of power (watts) for each 3db increase. So if you get 100db with 90 watts, you will need 180 watts to get 103db. For reference, 3db is generally considered the first "noticeable" increment, with +10 db being perceived as double the volume.

So you can see that with your current AVR producing hearing loss levels at your primary seat, you would have double your power for just 3 db more (you will be deaf either way, so save your money for hearing aids). \:\)

Last edited by dewd; 02/17/09 06:48 PM.