Originally Posted By: davekro

Zimm, in ceiling 7.1's never even crossed my mind. (amazing because it is a relatively short distance!) I like the idea of not trying to send the rear sound from so far back. Wow, this time I really do respect your position. (though my vision is is not quite back yet) ;\)

Well, your insurance company will appreciate that your party guest are not going deaf from trying to get a beer while you blast 190dB from the refig! I had in-ceiling surrounds in my old room. They solved a problem I could not fix otherwise. The all but disappear so the WAF is very high. As far as placement, just pick any distance from a THX or other suggestion. But really the placement will be driven by cost of running wire. If you have a one story your lucky. If not, you will have to figure out some cost issues that will offset the gains from cheaper speakers (no cabinet to worry about) and the direction of the rafters will drive costs.

For what it is worth, I had Klipsh 8" with swiveling 1" tweeter and a mid and high boost/cut and driver and tweeter indp swivel. I highly recommend the angle tweeter on whatever you go with as it lets you bounce the highs as you want to get the right reflection/direct sound. Without a cabinet, bass is a problem, so go for bigger woofers. I almost got the B&Ws. I found the Klipsch on sale and pulled the trigger and was generally happy with them - actually surprised how well composed they were even on 5 ch music. PSB also makes some in ceilings, but i think they are expensive. Speakercraft Aim 8 is also a finalist for me.

Panny 3000 PJ, 118" Carada, Denon 3300, PS3, Axiom QS8, PSB 5T, B&W sub, levitating speaker wire