Alan, are you out there? ;\)

If Alan has not already written on this, I would like to see if he or others would try to quantify this.
(I have just re-read Alan's Secrets of Amps. article. Which does not focus on this aspect.)

How does one notice or experience increased sound quality with each small, incremental increase in an AVR's power and it's components upgrades? Many of us with modest 90-100 wpc AVR's who are or might consider upgrading for new features, would also like to know what kind of SQ increase we might expect jumping up a model or two.

I was going to ask about AVR's in general, but to give better info for comparison purposes, I am speaking specifically of three Denon models: (A)1909, 90w {I have} (B)2809, 115w & (C)3808, 130w. [Just for reference, the speakers in use will be M80's, VP150, (4) QS8's, (1) Paradigm Servo 15 and (2) KLH 10" subs (in a large 31'x23' room).]

I do watch mostly (BD) movies, but for purposes of describing nuanced SQ changes between these three amps, If you just want to speak to M80's in stereo, that would answer my question as well. (My music listening would probably be in 7 channel stereo.)

We all know the macro story that at the limits of a 1909, it will start to distort just a few dB's below the 2809. The 3808, would go a few dB louder before distorting.

I have read plenty on the upper dB macro discussion and it has been discussed at length, which I hope to avoid here.

I am looking for the nuanced differences in SQ as you go up from the 1909, to a 2809, then to a 3808. Of course the power supply and and amp sections get larger as well as other upgraded components going up the model line. While knowing the hows and whys would be interesting, what I really want to know is the noticeable affect at normal listening levels.

We already decided to leave out 'loud' (95dB+) listening levels. Please speak to perceived and/or measured SQ differences using as the base the (A) 90w 1909, then up to (B)115w 2809 then (C) 3808 130w. I am not sure what SPL level is best to describe this nuanced difference, but for commonality of comparison, I'll just say throw out a 75dB SPL measured or calculated for the common listening distance of 12'. To me, any anechoic lab spec at shorter than a normal listening distance (12'), would not translate for me. So please translate any SPL dB speak. ;\)

Actually Db SPL is only a reference point at which you describe or measure SQ differences between the AVRs.

Please forgive the very specific parameters (and this novelette, though Mark would be proud. ;\) ) . My experience is that a lot of back and forth is avoided when as many variables are taken into account in the original question. I am certainly no audiophile... that's why I humbly ask help of those who are much more savvy than I. \:\)

Last edited by davekro; 04/03/09 12:10 AM. Reason: change my 2808 goofs to 2809!

Dave

"In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice they're not."