A very helpful and informative discussion so far. Charles, I wanted to avoid the comparison of modest power (90-130w) to huge power separates, A1400, et al, because that is not a path I want to, or can afford to go down.

Many of us want to understand as best we can what choices to make that will give us the biggest bang for the buck in the $500-$1200 AVR range. And to TRY to understand if/how and additional $300 (2809) or $600 (3808) will give us better SQ at 95dB and lower, along with the extra features. I fully understand what is required when you expect clean power well above 100dB. That is a discussion for a different level of audio experience.

I picked 75dB rather arbitrarily. When I finally got around to buying a Radio Shack SPL meter, I learned what 75dB, 85dB, and 95dB sounded like at 12' in my HT. To try to quantify my perception a bit, 75dB felt like a nice comfortable listening level, 85dB felt like about how I like to watch an action BD at, while 95dB sounded very LOUD. 95dB was a level I would not want to listen to for more than a few minutes for a movie. Now, throw back a few beers, pop in ZZ Top Live From Texas Blu-Ray, and 95dB is gonna work! If I turn it up past that, I will be fine with limiting my listening to whatever SPL is produced this side of distortion (prior to serious clipping) for the rare times I do this. The WAF is big for HT. She does not like it as loud as I do. She likes rock and roll louder. But she does not drink, so she may nix much above 100dB! ;\)

(I am saving the debut of my new ZZ Top BD until my new Axioms arrive MONDAY ! !! Woo Hoo!

I will definitely keep the SPL meter out on a tripod for SPL monitoring for a while while trying out the new speakers, and how the 1909 works for me with them. If I had not already jumped on the 1909 in Dec, at this point I probably would have gotten a 2809 0r 3808. At THIS point already having the 1909, I am trying to discern if spending $1,100 for a 3808 and selling the 1909, is worth it. I like some of the 3808 features, but don't 'need' them. If there is a SQ increase, that would tip me toward buying a 3808.

It appears from the discussion so far, that I would stick with the 1909 with no real difference in SQ at 95dB or lower, compared to the 2809 and 3808.

I guess my NEXT question is if my ZZ Top + beer test leaves me wishing I had a bit more head room for 1-2dB SPL at my max listening (pre distortion) level, that may tilt me to the 3808 still. ;\) I am doing my best to TRY to not succumb to a false idea of actually what more SQ I'd get (or need) from going to a 3808. So there it is. My quandary spelled out. \:\)

Last edited by davekro; 04/03/09 07:27 PM.

Dave

"In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice they're not."