Dave, I think you short circuited the issue by injecting the 75db level. The above are clearly more informed on the technical side. But as the article you cite explains, the issue comes up when you want to go over 75 (come on guys, that is looooowwwww) into the realm of more realistic volumes to reproduce the original source. If a piano hits 109 live, then I think my room should be at least 100 on a jazz CD to even get close to the feel of watching Ray Brown live with a stand up bass struming away as some kid jammed on the piano. (Didn't appreciate that performance it at the time, as I was there to see Irving Mayfield, a popular Trumpet player. Didn't know a legend was on the bass and would pass away soon after. :( )

Anyway, I think this is at the heart of much of the clash between fact and feel you get on the watts issue. If John K likes to listen at 80db, he is not likely to exceed the headroom in his AVR, and would see no benefit in getting a 300 watt amp. But, as Alan's article explains, when I want to listen at 102db 12 feet from the speaker, I need to multiply the power many times over.

As clipping occurs, the sound quality question comes into play. My Denon 3300 starts clipping at under 78.6 watts (THD .016%) while clearly noticeable THD (1%) arrives at 135.3 watts. [My speakers are 4-ohm so those number are actually 95 to first clip, and 174 to 1% THD]. Thus, when I ask the AVR to reproduce the sound of Ray Brown's stand up bass at the 103db, it can't do it without cutting the frequencies off and clipping to some extent, thus not sounding as "good" as the Axiom 1400 that has the power to get to the live level of 109db without clipping (i.e., degrading the sound quality) at all. [JohnK, does that make sense?]

So, in my "more informed than last year" opinion, I would say the 3000 series, at 130+ watts will give you a few extra dbs over the 1900's 90+, but may clip much higher than the 1900, and thus "technically" sound better - not considering the impact of bigger capacitors, and different power supplies, which I don't understand at this point. Plus Audyessy if that applies here.

But at 75db, stick with the 1900, you won't use the extra headroom. But, if you want to "get there" - that momentary suspension of disbelief that makes your brain think for a second you are hearing the performance in your room - then you need to get louder and cleaner. I have only experienced that feeling of a live performance in the room on a few rare occasions - and never in my home. But I am striving to get that in my home. The system I first got there with (my FIRST!) was Krell Amps, driving Wilson Watt speakers, via B&K sources. That system sold for over $100,000. I'm not there yet. But getting better every year, and am convinced it don't take $100K to get there.

Panny 3000 PJ, 118" Carada, Denon 3300, PS3, Axiom QS8, PSB 5T, B&W sub, levitating speaker wire