Well that's the first time I've ever heard the term "muddy" used when describing Axioms. Usually, detractors describe them as being "ear-bleeding" bright. LOL!

I'd like to return to the point Mark made about volume. Did the salesperson use a Sound Pressure Level Meter to establish the volume for each speaker? If he did, I have no answer for you. If he didn't - if he only made sure the volume knob on the receiver was at the same point, or if he established the "same" volume by ear, dollars to donuts the speakers were NOT at the same volume. And, as Mark pointed out, even the slightest difference in level can make a huge difference in your impressions of the speakers.

Point 2. I'm not saying, that this is the case, but it's something you have to keep in mind. The salesperson had a vested interest in which speaker sounded better. I'm sure he's interested in making a sale. Unless you were privy to ALL the setup parameters, there is always the possibility things were manipulated to favor the speaker he'd like to sell you.

Lastly, if you're satisfied that everything was on the up and up, and you preferred the Energys, good heavens, return the Axioms and buy the Energys. It's too important a purchase to live with doubts. It doesn't really matter what brand you like. Being content with your purchase, and happy with what you hear is the name of the game.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton