Well, I will check into the connecting straps and make sure everything is OK with them (I assume you mean the external crossover plates). Secondly the whole volume thing I think is a wash, only because at one point the volume of the speakers I didn't like were actually louder. The only other possibility is some tampering of the speakers controls in the receiver, but I think this is unlikely because it was the same setup for both, the salesman was just using a speaker switcher (not even switching the cables back and forth). I was curious of everyone's input only because like everyone else seems to be saying these speakers should be better. I was looking to see if anyone was thinking blown driver (but I don't think so), bad wiring (but it doesn't appear one speaker outperforms the other), so I was trying to get some additional input from those of you who have head to headed these speakers. I am bringing them back to the store today to give them another listen with my original salesperson (who was out the first time I did the head to head) and we shall see what results we get.