Second that. Please don't think we're picking on you or anything...

We do run into people who aren't happy with their Axioms and prefer something else but normally our reaction is either "yeah, they can be a little like that" or "yeah, Axiom should make something like that".

We get the occasional person on here saying things like "they suck and you're all stupid for liking them and no I don't have time to place them properly why should I do that I paid a lot of money for this crap" but you sound smart, thoughtful and are obviously putting a lot of effort into figuring out what sounds best to you and why.

Your situation does sound like something more is wrong, particularly since the kind of problems you are describing are 180 degress away from the way Axioms are normally described. That's why we're wondering about something loose or disconnected.

One quick & easy idea might be to give Axiom a call and point them to this thread so you don't have to go through the whole story again. They probably can give a second opinion on what Michael_A posted, eg. "we've heard that description before; that's a bad midrange"...

Just wondering, do you live anywhere with other Axiom owners nearby ? I imagine any of us would be open to getting you and a pair of "known good" speakers together as an easy way of figuring out if there is something wrong with the pair you have.

Good luck with the hunt.
John

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8