>>the midrange on the Energys were actually a little clearer, and the bass is not as pronounced on the Energies either, so I think this gave me an overall feeling of a shift up in the speakers to sounding bright

OK, this is starting to sound a bit familiar. The M80s have been reported to have "too much bass" in some rooms unless they are at least a couple of feet away from the wall (ie front of the speaker is 3-1/2 to 4 feet from the back wall). It's not that the M80 has a problem, just that it's a large, rear-ported speaker with deep bass extension.

If the distance from the back of the M80s to any wall is <2 feet try pulling them out further from the wall and that should help. I would start by pulling them way out into the room and listening like that first.

Part of the challenge here is that the M80 looks to be a much bigger speaker than the C-7 -- from the specs C-7s seem to be closer to M40s/50s in size -- and smaller speakers are often easier to place unless the room is fairly large.

What can you tell us about your listening room at home ?

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8