Would these swimmers be in an indoor pool? If so, you'd be surprised at how little light there is inside, especially if you’re sitting up in the stands trying to zoom in on them. I’ve been taking pictures of my daughter at baton competitions which are typically in high school gymnasiums, and have had difficulty getting good shots. The Rebel XT is a good choice (I’m pretty happy with mine), but just remember not to skimp on the lens – it’s really the most important part of the equation. If you intend to take pictures like I’ve described, then consider a fixed focal length zoom lens for its larger aperture and higher light gathering capabilities which will allow you keep your shutter speed fast and still allow plenty of light for the pictures.

I don’t know that digital or not really matters, but I like my digital camera. It’s nice to be able to take literally hundreds of shots and not worry that you’re burning film. Plus, it’s nice to be able to “develop” them when you get home that evening, rather than waiting for the local photo-mart to develop the film.

Here’s another good link. photo.net

M60's
VP150
QS8's
HSU STF-2
Onkyo TX-SR805
Audiobytes for the PC