In reply to:

It seems like the Nikon lenses are somewhat more affordable than Canon lenses. Should I even consider lenses by companies like Sigma or Tamron?

3rd party lenses are often the best way to go unless you're shooting for National Geographic spreads... I have a few Nikkor and Tamron lenses for my 35mms. For most things, they're nearly identical.

As for "only" 6 megapixel, that'll get you a pretty good 8x10... better than APS, and maybe a smidge softer than 35mm.

Another thing you haven't mentioned (or I breezed through) was flash... onboard pop up flashes are there for looks and a little assist now and then. You may find that in a "dark" (it looks like to you but not to the CCD in your camera) swimming pool, that without a dedicated flash, you'll either be shooting at hideously low shutter speeds ("this smear on the left is my daughter") or the camera will "gain up" by multiplying voltage from the CCD, which gets grainy in the luminence and noisy in the colour channels ("this speckled multicolour blob over here is my daughter")

Bren R.