In reply to:

If I get something like that, would I also want to have another lens for general purpose use? I've read mixed reviews about the "kit lenses" that come stock with both of those cameras, with some people suggesting to just get a body and an 18-70mm lens instead of the standard one.

I actually think the kit lenses you describe are pretty darn good. Sure there are better ones out there. But I think that line of thinking mostly comes from people who are looking for a single lens that will work for any possible shot. Of course, that lens just doesn't exist. The key here is that photography is a complex subject (much like speaker design, I'm sure), but I find it’s a rewarding one.

My suggestion is just to purchase a good digital camera so that you can take lots of pictures and get instant feedback on how you’re doing without worrying about wasting film. Either the Canon or Nikon will serve you well here. My main reason for choosing Canon was their impressive variety of lenses. The main investment in this hobby isn’t the camera, but the lenses. Still, Nikon has great stuff as well; go with what feels good in your hand. The Rebel XT fit that bill for me. It might also be a good idea to just get one lens with the camera and a good photography book. Spend some time figuring out how changing the various settings like aperture, white balance, and shutter speed affect the shot. This will go a long ways towards teaching you what you should look for in your next lens.

Also, to get really good action shots in mediocre light conditions takes really big lenses. Watch the sidelines at a NFL game sometime. Those guys are holding on to some pretty serious pieces of glass!

One final thought, I was recently getting my picture taken for a work thing, and they brought in a professional photographer. I asked him what sort of equipment you need to take great photographs. He replied, “An art degree.” Wise words indeed.

M60's
VP150
QS8's
HSU STF-2
Onkyo TX-SR805
Audiobytes for the PC