Hey Tom:
Sorry about the late response.... I was gone this weekend.

I would agree with everyone else regarding a digital SLR... though you didn't mention budget. How big is your room? Will this be for movies or music? What type of music do you.....ummmmm....crap. Hold on. More coffee.

If your budget allows it, the Canon Rebel XT or Nikon D50 or D70 would be my choice. Of course, they're not inexpensive as snapshot cameras.

I'll also reiterate that size does matter. Sometimes having a small camera that slips in your shirt pocket means not missing shots..... but it'll mean "less capability and my fingers are too damn big for these little menu buttons" to other people. See what's comfortable at a B&M.

There are several factors that'll help with "sports photography" if that's your singular goal:

Any camera will likely automatically increase the ISO (I STILL want to say ASA!) when the situation warrants it....such as when shooting sports or under lower light situations. This means that the camera, not receiving enough light because of ambient conditions or because of a short shutter speed, will "boost" the output of the sensor chip. This can be done well or poorly depending upon the quality of the chip and the electronics/software algorithm.

A big factor in the number of missed shots will be the speed and accuracy of auto-focusing. As would be expected, the more expensive cameras are, by and large, MUCH faster at "locking in" on a focus (even on a moving subject) than the less expensive models.

Oooops- I'm running a bit short on time here this morning, Tom! I can write more later (I'll let you digest this part) or, you can feel free to call me. My schedule today will open up after 11AM EST or so….!

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::