Oh, yeah, Adam. I like the looks of that Sigma a lot. I'm not so crazy about the $850 price tag, although I do recognize it is a couple hundred less than the comparable Canon.

Thanks for the encouragement, guys. I've never thought of myself as creative or artistic, so I tend to approach these kinds of things as craft (constructing a series of pictures to document an event) rather than art. I've certainly had a keen appreciation for photography as an art form for as long as I can remember. Perhaps I will develop some sensibility along the way. I certainly enjoy the learning process.

I know I have lots of things to learn before it becomes relevant, but what do you say about tripods and heads? Remember, I'm cheap, so don't send me to Really Right Stuff or anything. I am thinking that something like this Bogen might be a good compromise between cheap crap and pro gear. Seems to me like quick release and a ball-head would be better than cumbersome attachment and a bunch of levers to poke me in the eye. What say you?

bibere usque ad hilaritatem