Mark and Bren, thank you very much.

I really appreciate not only your time, but also your ability to explain this stuff to me in a way I understand without making me feel like The VIllage Idiot.

I've always had good luck with Canon products. I've read reviews of the D50 and the Canon; they both seem very highly regarded. I guess I need to go and hold them. Maybe smoke a cigarette afterwards. Are there good reasons for me to NOT like the Nikon? It is less expensive.

I've read widely varying reports about the importance of a lens focusing quickly. Any comments?

I notice that there are about three different flavors of Sigma Zoom Telephoto 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG Macro Autofocus Lenses at B&H (DG, APO and APO DG). What the heck?

If I get something like that, would I also want to have another lens for general purpose use? I've read mixed reviews about the "kit lenses" that come stock with both of those cameras, with some people suggesting to just get a body and an 18-70mm lens instead of the standard one.

As to the blob/blur pool thing, flashes are a non-issue. I simply can't use them, so will have to do my best with whatever light and technology is available. Part of what is driving me on this project is that we really have an excellent club, but we lost the one coach who was at all inclined to capture photographic evidence of the excellence. Plus, it's a new toy with buttons that I don't have.

Thank you again for so patiently suffering my dumb questions.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem