Craig,

I have been tracking this thing (along with the 58" Panny plasma and the new Pio 60" plasma) on AVS since it became available in the last few weeks. Once you cut throught the normal crap over there, the thing is getting exceelent reviews.

The green blob issue Zarak mentioned is on last year's model and so far has not manifested itself on this year's screen. The SXRD is getting a disproportionate share of the market since it's introduction.

As Jack points out, the current technologies each have their plusses & minuses. I have been to look at the 60" in several places (and have gotten the remote to do some tweaking). The picture it produces is stunning. Know that the Standard definition stuff you get (non-HD) will not look as impressive as DVDs and HD.

Might be worthtwhile for you to check out some of the A2000 threads in the Rear Projection forum at AVS. There are several and the "Official Owner's" thread is brutally long (start at the back & work forward).

One of the perls I pulled out of the thread may not matter to you, but here goes. The numbers might not be totally correct, the relationship is what I am trying to illustrate. Last year's XBR1 version used the 2.0 DRC (video engine technology). This year's A2000 uses DRC 1.0. This year's "to be introduced shortly" XBR2 uses DRC 2.5. Some of the AVS'rs seem to think the XBR 1 pic is a tad better then the A2000 and expect the XBR2 to be noticeably different (and therefore, more expensive).

The A2000 is the entry level and the XBR is the high end/ The main diffs are the DRC thing and the XBR having more stuff to play with (PIP, etc.) AND the dumbo ears. The A2000 is a great value for the money and the diff in PQ (I've seen the A2000 and XBR1 side by side)is questionable - one of those "the dog may notice" things. For the price and the enjoyment I must quote a gentleman whose opinion I highly respect:

BUY IT!!!!!!!