Well I finally got to see the Sony A2000, while there I also was able to look at the 56" Samsung HL-S5688. Both were very good looking. Both were being fed via HD-DVD through a switcher and finally component into the sets. It was a close call, but I may have to give the nod to the Samsung. At least with that particular setup. The sony tended to "smear" color a bit. Particularly warm skin tones. Both sets looked quite good in the blacks. Neither looked particularly milky. There was also a scene of lots of snow covered mountains. It was a good test of full white levels, and again both handled those bright whites very, very well. Nothing looked too hot.

I'll be going back again and they said they could hook the HD-DVD player up directly to the sets so I could see them both being fed a 1080p signal directly via HDMI. I also want to see how they both handle a standard 480p DVD, as that's what I'll be most concerned with for awhile to come.

Lastly...what's the word on this? If the HL-S5688 looks as good as it did, I'd really like to see one of these.