I don't believe it. Some idiot bought a FULLSCREEN copy of "Attack of the Clones". Never noticed it before because I was watching on a 4:3 TV. If I ever find out who is responsible for buying the DVDs around here... oh wait...

The image looks very... tall.

I discovered something else in the process... might be unique to my projector, but I have a sinking feeling it is common to all widescreen displays. When I play a 4:3 DVD, unless I fiddle with the projector settings the image is stretched across to the full 16:9 panel area. If I flip the projector's "Screen" setting from "Full" to "Normal" I get a 4:3 image with bars on the sides. Manual says Full = 16:9, Normal = 4:3.

Why do I care ? Because my "no scaler, no HTPC" approach to 2.35 CH was going to be picking up a used Panamorph vertical compression lens, mounting the projector back 20 feet as originally designed, leaving the lens in place all the time, and using the "Normal" setting on the projector to squish 16:9 content down so it would appear normal after going through the lens.

That should work fine for 16:9 content, but it means I have no solution for playing 4:3 content without moving the lens or finding a "double-squish" setting on the projector.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8