Quote:

So if you sit 77 inches away from that 1080p display it wouldn't look any better than if it were 768p.

Nick, something's not right about this. My head hurts from trying to figure out exactly what. I do know that the higher the resolution, the closer you can sit to the TV and have a nice sharp, clear picture. You need to sit back farther from a lower resolution. So, if 77 inches is the optimal distance to sit from a 50", 1080p set, it should look noticeably better than sitting 77 inches from a 50", 768p or 720p or 480p set.

According to this article, the ideal for a 50" 720p set is 122.5". Sitting closer will allow your eyes to pick up artifacts and noise.

"Your eye has finite resolution. Sure the 1080p displays are all exciting, but if you're sitting too far away from them, you're not going to see any of that resolution. By the same token, if you're sitting too close to a lower resolution display (or one that is too large for your room), then you're going to see the individual pixels that make up the image."

I hope somebody can come along and clarify.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton