Some American doctors I know are supportive, but generally speaking the US medical associations have a common view to oppose universal health care and do lobby extensively against it (along with HMOs, insurance companies and pharmaceutical companies). There are just too many powerful vested interests with big economic stakes standing in the way, so I doubt you will get it anytime soon.

Based on my many discussion over the years on this topic starting from my college days in Boston and now with my many friends in Florida and California, just about all Americans I know want some form of universal health care.

What's ironic is that if just a small fraction of that huge military budget was redirected toward health care (the cost of the Iraq Occupation for example), the quality of life for tens of millions of Americans would be vastly improved and lifespans would start to reach Canadian levels. Elderly Americans should not have to travel on organized bus junkets to Canada because they can't afford to pay for prescriptions where they live. It's sad to see and its not right. \:\(

John