Congratulations!!

Lots of research. Can be terrifying - it's an exciting experience and you should know as much as possible before you sink the most $$$ you have ever spent into the smallest thing you have ever bought! Outside of the birth of my kids, getting engaged is one of my fondest memories.

Learn the 4 C's: Cut, Color (or Colour), Clarity, Carat

Find your budget. Stick to it.

Find out what type of setting and cut your girlfriend prefers. If you are to the point where you are thinking of marriage you may have some idea of what she wants.

Learn how to use a loupe and look at many, loose stones from as many jewelers as you can. The jeweler will tell you the carat, color and clarity, of each stone you look at and if the stones are IGA certified then you'll have a definitive "grade' on the c's of the stone. The more diamonds you look at, the better you will be able to ascertain the quality (you won't be an expert, but you will feel much more comfortable).

This is important because, a lot of jewelers will have you pay a "premium" for IGA certified stones due to the cost of the certification. Many jewelers may be wholesalers as well and have stones that they buy and grade themselves, which they will be able to offer to you at a lower/better price.

If you decide to buy an uncertified diamond, ask if you can take it to an appraiser before the sale is final. A $100 dollars or so for an appraisal is a great deal so that you are certain you are getting what you paid for. If the jeweler is reluctant to allow an appraisal or refuses, drop it like it's hot and do NOT give them your business.

Never look at already set stones, except for ideas re stone and setting.

I would stay away from the chain jewelers. Staff knowledge will be limited and in the end you will probably not get as good as price to value ratio. Also, they will rake you over the coals for setting costs, that's where they get their biggest margins. A simple (meaning plain) 14k white or yellow gold setting should not be more than $100 - $200. Platinum is more.

I was fortunate in Chicago because I could go to Jeweler's Row and in 1 building visit approx. 100 jewelers/wholesalers. I probably went to 20 places and decided on a jeweler.

In fact, there are two that I have developed a relationship with over the years because, that ring is NOT the last piece of jewelry you will buy ;\) There are always anniversary gifts, birthday gifts, and birthing gifts to follow and having a good relationship with a reputable jeweler will help you get the deals, on the earrings, necklaces, bracelets, etc...... (it never ends!)

Ask friends or relatives who have bought jewelry for references, or see if there is an area similar to Jeweler's Row in Tulsa.

Good luck and congrats again!

Last edited by DL30; 06/25/08 06:28 PM. Reason: Duh. You are in Tulsa not OK City

DL