Thanks for all the info folks. Nick, a really big thank you for that big and informative post.

The biggest challenge that I have is that I am in Canada and the lesser populated Atlantic Canada to boot. The exchange rate and a lack of strong competition in the music store business keeps prices high and that 995 kit becomes listed well over $2000 in a local store here.

I have bought lots of stuff from across he border, Jeep parts mostly, but between the exchange, shipping and likely duty, a $999 set quickly approaches approaching $1500, therefore the used version for $1000, (probably negotiable to 8 or 900) starts to be much more attractive than in might look in your geographic location. Rolands are priced ridiculously high around here. I had indeed been looking for them, hoping for a nugget.

Excellent information though. Leads me to follow up questions.

1st question.
How significant are the single zone pads of the Explorer to a beginner. I'm not looking for an Indy car but by not having to worry about where I hit a pad, would I be developing bad habits or am I getting to complicated for now? Would I miss out on being able to simulate rimshots and other types of hits?

Question #2
Assuming the $995 US Roland set is going to cost me $1500 to $1600 Canadian by the time it hits my doorstep and I get a duty bill in the mail. Would the mesh snare and additional quality be worth the $600 dollars it would cost me over the Yamahas?

More than 600 actually, because I'd still be short a kick pedal. throne, etc. that comes with the used Yammies.

I love this board. So much to learn from so many.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.