Getting closer.
Played around at Long & McQuade in Ottawa Saturday and smaller music shop with fantastically high prices but very friendly people.

I'm probably going to go with a set of Roland TD3SW. Roland's entry level set but as per lots of advice, upgradeable and even in my newness I could tell that the mesh snare is a valuable feature.

Canadian prices are actually worse than American plus rate conversion. However I have yet to confirm if there are duty on these items. I'm suspecting so.

I was also looking at the next step up in the Roland's but used as per this link.
Roland TD6 - Used
In email inquiries, he has moved down a couple of hundred and it includes a throne and kick pedal that I would otherwise have to add to the price of a new set.

I'm likely shying away though as I have heard from the drummer who agreed to go view them for me that electronic drums rely on a (did he say glass?) sensor in each pad that has a limited lifespan and that it is a given that they eventually fail. Hours of use and the heaviness of the use are the variables. Therefore, he refuses to advise much on any used purchases due so he has me a bit spooked for used electronic drums.

I'm hoping to get this all completed prior to Christmas as my wife has agreed to spend the extra money for an electronics set as a Christmas present but I wonder if it is really more of a present to her to not have the much heavier noise of an enthusiastic beginner on an acoustic set.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.