Hi cb919,

Welcome to the Axiom forum. I'm delighted that Listener compared the sound of his W22s to Paradigm's Studio 100, but it doesn't surprise me.

I do most of the double-blind listening tests for existing and new models of Axiom speakers, and I can assure you that the W22s did not receive my go-ahead for production until in the blind tests vs. the M22s, the W22s received similar scores and rankings.

In the tests, when I write down "similarly good" to two different models (remember, I don't know what I'm listening to) and my preferences often change just with different music but the scores are so close that there is no statistical difference, then the speakers are essentially identical sounding.

As to the Paradigm Studio series, I own a pair of Studio 20s, and the M22s or W22s are virtually indistinguishable from the Studio 20s. I have a slight preference for the bit of extra detail I hear from the W22s, but when I pair them up on my own A/B switcher, I often forget which I'm listening to.

The W3s are really nice; the W22s have a bit more midrange detail and will handle a bit more peak power because they use three rather than two drivers. I'd recommend the W3s if you don't use a subwoofer because the W3s have a bit of a boost in the 100-Hz region that subjectively sounds like more bass when used on their own, without a sub.

I think you'll be thrilled with the sound of the W22s paired with a good subwoofer (the EP350 v3 has wonderful deep bass extension and power; it comes remarkably close to the EP500). The 500 goes a little bit deeper, is more linear, and is more powerful for very large rooms.

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)