Originally Posted By: sirquack
I was just eyeballing your drawing and estimating the distance. The rears don't HAVE to be the same distance. What is the furthest back from the seat you can go without interfering with the kitchen/dining room.

My left/right surrounds are futher away from the center seat than the rears. When you set things up with the receiver setup you can adjust the distance setting, no problem. I've never tilted my Qs8's downward, but have always wondered. My bottom driver is about 7ft off the floor and seems to work fine, but could it be better? ;\)

Randy,
I don't have any idea how loud the QS8's would be if you wer sitting directly under one or say back 3-4'. Can you speak to that?
I believe you said your backs were 3' or so behind your 'second row'. How far back are they from your front row? I too believe the +/- dB adjustment of Audyssey (or manually) can adjust easily for the sides/ backs being different distance form primary list pos. I'm just not sure where the balance would be for front SQ and back low annoyance factor. If I knew how sitting under or 3-5' back of a QS8 during a loud action sequence, I could better judge that sweet spot. I certainly will find out when I order them and test it out.

So my 'current plan', as of this nano second ;o) is to order 4 QS8's and try various SBL & SBR distances back as well as their separation. I will also try a single as a 6.1 at the peak of the vaulted ceiling (w/ ≈4" top clearance). I may try the not too attractive idea of dropping the 6.1 down some so as not to be as far above the sides. I do not know if 'pointing down' from the ceiling center, say 6-7' back would be good enough to simulate being lower. One good thing about a 6.1 QS8 is that it would be in the center of the room over the tile bar/counter, so even farther away from from both the dining room and the kitchen areas.

Dave

"In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice they're not."