Other than the remote (which I resolved with an adapter), my first generation PS3 has been bullet proof. It’s ugly, noisy and a dust collector, but performance wise, it’s been a great little machine. I suspect you have something not set correctly if you don’t like the image. Do you have it set up for 1080P/24, color space set up for 4:4:4 and not RGB, audio set to PCM and all the right boxes checked?

The Oppo has been trouble free as well, but I feed the DVDO VP50 Pro with it and have it set up for source direct. I basically use if for a transport and can’t comment on how it does with SD/DVD. Oppo is real quick to address any bugs with firmware, so I wouldn’t hesitate buying one now. Oppo is on a mission to have the best player on the market, and I think they’ve succeeded.

When you get to playing with the 980 Rick, feel free to let me know when and I’ll set up a time to talk you through it on the phone. My life is a little less hectic than the last time we talked and can give you some pointers. It would be best to do that when I’m sitting in front of the computer and have the software pulled up.