Originally Posted By: RickF
In the mean time, what are the issues that folks are having with the Oppo BDP-83? Seems like just about everything I've read on the player points to it as being a very good player.

It is a very good player. It just isn't the image of perfection which some people are making it out to be.

Since Oppo isn't a big name, studios don't test on it before releasing a disc. This means Oppo will be chasing releases for firmware fixes. This may improve over time, as several studios have told Oppo they'll be checking compatibility with this player specifically in the future; the treatment the PS3 (and other big names) already get.

The "no sale" point for me is that it can't mix the full-quality, lossless tracks with secondary audio. There is no way to fix this with firmware either, as Oppo has stated the player just doesn't have enough power to do so.

I know there'll always been something better in the pipeline, and if you wait for the next best thing you'll wait forever. But when I do go to buy an electronic device, I make a list of must-have features, and will hold off buying until I find a model which meets all of those. Right now the PS3 actually does meet my demands while the Oppo doesn't.

Pioneer PDP-5020FD, Marantz SR6011
Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris