Others have answered your question fully but since you asked. I have the 3806. 120 Watts/channel.

I also fall into the camp that believes an external amp would not produce any further clarity for me unless I someday reach a point where I need gads more volume to fill a huge space.

I would however be willing to experiment in a true, controlled, double blind listening test to see if the science can be proven wrong. Thus I try to remain a bit neutral and stick to my advice that the Denon will almost certainly please you beyond a doubt but if you have the money to experiment with thousands of dollars for a potential of small gains, then by all means feel free and report back your findings.

Edit:
A further thought. A also have a much cheaper Panasonic 100 w/c receiver driving two M60s upstairs for music in the main house area. This is a Much, much bigger space than my small HT room in the basement with the full setup. When sitting down to listen to good source material (a good source is the key) then I am once again astounded by the clarity the M6os produce even with the much cheaper receiver.

I can push this system to levels where I 'think' I hear some light clipping (sound seems to get a bit more muddied and fatiguing' but this is at ridiculously loud experiments in volumes. Levels I would never use for long and expect my hearing not to be severely effected.

Last edited by Murph; 11/25/09 01:08 PM. Reason: comparison to lesser amp

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.