Originally Posted By: jakewash
Dean, I think you should try a separate amp to drive the M80s, the bass I could get from them with the A1400 was incredible and it had a lot of impact, much more than with the 3808 alone. The extra power from the desperate amp makes a much larger difference with the mid bass on the M80s than anywhere else:)

Nah, the extra power does not change the sound. Well, not until things get loud, or more accurately, when the spl range gets real.

Then you notice the sound is not harsh or fatiguing at levels you once thought were the top of the comfort zone. At that thin margin of the listening experience you feel the bass guitar of "Come Together" as if you can fee each vibration of the strings as the pluck decays; same for a piano or a bluesy voice.

It is the change (in my room) from good, to the momentary suspension of disbelief needed to really fall into a performance you have "listened to" hundreds of times. (And holy cow, was Star Trek freeken loud!)

Dean, you probably fit the APB for the type of person that would enjoy the company of the pixies that come from an external amp. You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave the pixies.

Panny 3000 PJ, 118" Carada, Denon 3300, PS3, Axiom QS8, PSB 5T, B&W sub, levitating speaker wire