Hey guys, time for an update.

I just got my new amp for the blown EP800 yesterday! The new amp appears to be significantly different than the old. Although the plate indicates a 150W draw, I think they are just using plates that they had in stock. The black protection boot was not attached to the plate, so I was able to take a quick peek inside, and there are 2 toroids there so I am assuming this may be a dual amp (I'm not sure about the old amp since the boot was attached). Another reason I believe the new amp to be a dual amp is that it contains 8 binding posts (4 pairs) instead of 4 (2 pairs). With the old setup, the top driver was jumpered off of the bottom, you had to double lug the wires. Each driver has 2 pairs of binding posts.

Because of the significant difference, the changeout required the removal of both drivers and all internal wiring. The new amp came with pre-attached wires on the lugs (4 pairs). The entire replacement took me about 90 minutes.

Initial impressions are:

1) There is definitely more driver throw. I only have to have the gain at about 50% to get the same throw I get on my other EP800 when it is at 90%.
2) Bass appears to be "tighter" or "punchier". I tried playing several songs last night that have quick bass, and there really appears to be a difference bewteen both of my EP800s. I even called my wife in and did a blind A-B test, and she was able to tell all three times which was the new versus the old amp.

The new amp did not come with any techinical data, so I E-mailed Brent to ask for specs on the new amp. Alan, if you have any details I'd be really interested to know (it's the EE in me).

Anyway, so far so good! My initial impressions are that I much prefer the sound of the new amp to the old, and hopefully this one keeps chugging! I'm also hoping I can get the replacement amp for my second EP800 soon!

Happy Holidays all!

Last edited by SRoode; 12/24/09 10:59 AM.

LFR1100 Actives,QS10HPx2,QS8x2,EP800,M3x4,M3x2 (Wood),M5HPx2 (Wood),AxiomAir,ADA1500-8,ADA1500-7