Dean
Yes, you can play MP3 or Apple lossless formats. Sorry, no FLAC, OGG or the like.

I would strongly suggest you take a look at Apple's app store. That is their strength. You can get apps to control stuff on your network, including other PCs/Macs, Tivos, Pandora, specialized apps to access HP Home Servers (like my EX495), home automation, games, etc. The fact that those apps work on iPod Touches, iPads and iPhones is the real strength. Yes, you have to commit to the Apple ecosystem but it's a BIG eco system. Android has promise but it's not there...yet.

BTW, I did play w/ my coworker's iPad yesterday. I'm an Apple fanatic and early adopter, but I couldn't see buying this thing because I already own a Kindle and a Dell Mini 9 Netbook (running Win7 and OSX). After 10 minutes, I want one. It doesn't replace a laptop or smartphone, but it does replace a Kindle and netbook. Even the soft keyboard in landscape mode is better than a netbook. Gorgeous screen, Kindle app, and promising iBook store. The killer for me: viewing full page comics. Wow.

Yeah, it doesn't have a camera, but I rarely do video chat so it's not a deal killer. And if I need a camera in a pinch, I always have my iPhone w/ me.

Last edited by oldskoolboarder; 04/06/10 04:56 PM.