Stopped by the closest BB and tried out a couple players the Archos 5 and ZuneHD.

What they both had in common was that they had no internet connectivity so I couldn’t see how they browed the web. Both powered on instantaneously, nice.

Archos 5 - Unfortunately the Archos 5 didn’t have anything on it. No music, video or pictures and wasn’t connected to the internet or picking up FM radio so about all I could do was check the interface. Not impressed. It was set up like a computer desktop with icons and also icon based menu options were available. I liked the larger 5” screen better than the ZuneHD but that’s all. The touchpad interface was very sluggish. The “Home” feature didn’t work. It kept getting confused about what orientation it was in while switching screens. It would pop back to the correct one but it was annoying. Another annoyance was after trying to connect to the FM radio and failing ever minute or so a dialog popped up asking if I wanted to try connecting again even after telling it “no” and powering it off and back on again.

ZuneHD - screen size was just to small I think the 5” screen is going to be a minimum for me. The interface was responsive and more intuitive but seemed it would be more limited as it was just a list of menus. Had a “hard” button which jumped back to the top of the menu hierarchy.

I listened to some demo material including symphonic metal which sounded good on the Sennheiser headphones (forget the model). While this combo was loud enough for general listening and normal commuting it wouldn’t be loud enough for a military cargo aircraft w/o noise canceling.

Listened to some FM radio which sounded ok but nothing special. However, not bad at all for something w/o and antenna and indoors made me wonder if the store had a repeater or something.

Watched a demo video which looked sharp and colourful but was just to small to enjoy watching.

I had already eliminated the ZuneHD and others based on screen size which using one confirmed. My experience with the Archos seems to bear out what half the owners are saying that the interface is sluggish and it’s buggy. If I find another one I certainly try it but if it fairs as badly then it’s out, teetering on the edge already.

Unfortunately that BB didn’t have the iPad so I could give it a try. Looks like I’m going to have to find a Cowon s9 and iPad to look at. At 3.3” I’m not sure the s9’s screen is going to be big enough for me but I will have a look before deciding that.

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1