Originally Posted By: grunt

Did you do much surfing with the iPad you tried. Listening to NPR on the way to work they were discussing the iPad launch and I guess there are issues with it playing flash videos if the sight hasn’t been designed to support the iPad. While I asssume most sites would be quick to support “I” anything and other players also seem to have some flash issues I just wondered if you had a take on this.

No I did not do a lot, but it seems very similar to the iPhone/Touch. I don't do a huge amount of surfing on my iPhone because I find that there are specific iphone apps that perform similar tasks in a better way on the small screen. It's tough to surf w/o a real keyboard IMHO. But that doesn't mean you can't do it. You just have change your habit a bit. I do recommend using a multiplatform bookmark syncing client so you can use the same bookmarks from any machine/browser. On my iPhone/Macs, I use MobileMe to accomplish that. With Firefox, I use Xmarks. I do this because when I surf, it's usually to the same sites (like here) so the bookmarks rarely change.

I also use NetNewswire with Google Reader to peruse my RSS feeds. That actually tends to cut down on my voracious web surfing on my iPhone. It's not really the best app, but one I'm most comfortable with.

Yes, the iPad/iPhone don't support flash, only HTML5. It remains to be seen whether Jobs made the right call there. A coworker made an interesting point. Some sites, as of Sunday, have started to revamp their sites to allow surfing from the iPad w/o Flash. That tells you the power of this iPad movement. Flash isn't the end all be all, it's requires a lot of CPU/GPU horsepower. You can play still YouTube on an iPhone app. But if you want to play Farmville on Facebook, then you're out of luck. But I have to imagine someone's trying to rectify that.

Last edited by oldskoolboarder; 04/06/10 08:52 PM.