Originally Posted By: kcarlile
That is one bizarre result right there. I wouldn't expect that from just about any salesman. I can't imagine why he would say you would need a 1kW amp for the M80s. I mean, sure, why not, but NEED?

Well, to be fair the guy never said that I NEEDED 1000 watt mono's in order to make my M80's work. It was more like a personal recommendation. His amps weren't 4 ohm stable, so he had nothing to sell me. But he said if I wanted to make absolutely sure that I never ran into clipping at high level listening, then he suggested I go with something pushing close to 1000 watts into 4 ohms. An 'insurance policy' amp of sorts.

He really did seem to be fairly knowledgable and enthusiastic about properly allowing for headroom. And he used the word 'control' quite a bit... "An amp that runs out of available dynamic headroom looses control of the audio signal", or something along those lines.

I dunno, I guess the fact that he wasn't trying to sell me any of his products seemed to give him more credibility. But maybe he was just a quack?

My Stuff :

M80's
QS8's
VP150
EP800
Denon 4802
Emotiva XPA-3
Samsung BD-P3600
Sharp 65 Inch Aquos LCD