I may be overthinking things (a common issue that I have) but I'm starting to think that I've lost the ability to judge bass. I'm finding it very hard to determine when bass lingers too long because of bad placement/bad speakers and when it does so because it's just present in the recording.

In just the last ten minutes flicking through songs I've used for evaluations for years I've gone from impressed to disgusted and back with these Polks. On a Knopfler CD I'm not so familiar with but trust as good (based on his history) it sounds merely decent. Jack Johnson songs sound all sorts of boomy, but I know that's his recording. But the low piano note crashing down on Rebecca by Pat McGee Band rings powerful and true not two minutes later. Banjo/bluegrass stuff sounds as clear and accurate up top as it always does, but rock/metal sounds muddy and fatiguing. Maybe that's the recordings though.

Could it be that I'm a terrible judge of sound and have been wasting my money (luckily it hasn't been that much) and parroting the opinions of others?

I think that's entirely possible. I'm going to drag these speakers with me for the M80ti audition I go to just so I can hear things side by side and know for sure what the differences are.

I used to think I had a pretty good ear. I'm starting to doubt that.

Last edited by Dave B; 07/08/10 12:51 AM.