Autoboy,

First off, where is the VP180? From the photo, there seems to be a big console-like box below the screen. Is the VP180 concealed inside another enclosure (something I always advise against). If it's inside another enclosure, remove it and have it operating in free space. This is the first complaint I've ever received concerning dialogue intelligibility with the Axiom VP180; normally with this center, it's never an issue. By the way, "combing" is not related to dialog clarity.

Instead of "resorting" to turning up the center level, view it as a huge advantage, and don't overly rely on auto calibration systems. Many movies have the dialogue recorded at low levels with over-emphasis of surround and subwoofer effects. (I've been present at Hollywood soundtrack mixing sessions and noted how the dialogue is sometimes too quiet relative to the music/effects tracks.) So turn up the dialogue track if you can't hear it easily. Or reduce the subwoofer level. dts seems to mix the subwoofer track too hot on many effects movies and that will overwhelm dialogue.

Regards,
Alan

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)